Why Are Water Tanks Cylindrical In Shape?
- July 7, 2017
- Posted by: Admin
- Category: Plastic Water Storage Tank
While getting a plastic water storage tank, have you even noticed, why all of them are cylindrical in shape? Though it may seem that it is a random choice that got popular with time, in reality, it is more scientific than realized. Since the circular cross section offers several advantages over any other shape, it has been employed in the old times as well to construct the stone well.
Let’s understand in details why the circular cross is so important for a stable structure :
- The circular shape of the plastic wtear storage tank enables the water to exert a uniform stress distribution along the wall of the tank. This means the water pressure is dissipated in every direction evenly on the inner walls of the water tank and thus, it will have a longer shelf life. Also, it makes the supply of water through pipes quite effortless, independent of it position.
- In contrast, a square or rectangular cross-section, the corners of the structure cause hindrance to the even distributing and an overall stress remains in the structure. It is particularly too high round the corners and thus creates a weak spot within. In a long run, it might cause corrosion and leakage in these bends.
- Moreover, the round shape also provides additional strength from outside as well, especially during windy and stormy weather. The round shaped edges allow the wind to pass through them swiftly without trying to uproot the structure.
- Geometrically the spherical structure has the largest volume capacity than any other shape used by the same material. That is why several aerial tanks are made in spherical with the help of a pedestal. In case, the tank needs to be grounded, the cylindrical shapes are the next best go. Not only makes the best use of the material but also makes the task of cleaning the tank easy and hassle free.
- Apart from the stress distribution factor, having a circular base, ensure the water flows more freely every time the pump is on or a tap is opened, due to an absence of any corners to offer resistance. This enables the water to be fresher as it prohibits the buildup and growth of algae, bacteria, and larva, which are very common in stagnant water.
In a nutshell, the cylindrical water storage tanks are pretty much the best option for storing water.